Pages

Tuesday 8 April 2014

BloTV Chats With Afrobeats Newcomer TeeJay "My New Song Work Features Lola Rae"

Hey guys,

I recently had the opportunity to interview Afrobeats newcomer TeeJay about his music, inspirations, hobbies and his rise to fame.  Teejay was very forthcoming and informative in his answers. It was a pleasure to get to know the multi talented artist, I hope you enjoy the interview and learn something you didn't know about the newcomer.
The first question I asked TeeJay was to introduce himself:
 "Hi, my full name is Tariq Olatunji, I guess my nickname and stage name is TeeJay"

TeeJay went on to further give me a bit of his background history, for some reason I thought he was from Sierra Leone however I was very wrong! The Afrobeat heartthrob is actually a Nigerian to the core.
He was born in Nigeria and then moved to England at a young age. His father is half Nigerian and half Tanzanian and his mother is English, which explains the singers bouncy curly hair.

Having gotten to know a bit more about TeeJay I moved on to the oh so important questions about his music. I asked TeeJay to describe his music in just 4 words, this is something so many find hard to do.
"My music is different, relevant, fresh and personal"

Photo credit: teejay_music/ Instagram
Next I asked TeeJay a little more about his talent, in today’s music industry singers are never just great at one thing. Take Kanye West for example- he raps, produces and of course we all know he designs clothes and shoes. Artist nowadays tend to be able to do so much more and TeeJay is no exception! He sings raps, produces, writes and surprisingly draws.

I have to give credit where credit is due, his drawings are amazing, not the drawings of an everyday doodler. I saw full blown portraits with such great attention to detail; truly he is a master of his trade.


Of course all great artists have to take time to relax and develop themselves away from the studio. I asked TeeJay when he is not making music what is he doing; I was quite shocked by his response. When the heartthrob is not in the studio, he draws portraits and designs comics.


TeeJay gave me an insight to what new music we can expect from him this year. The songstress explained that he will release another video around Easter which is going to be a big one. He is all about consistency so we should expect a lot of music from him in the next two quarters of the year.






I asked TeeJay who he believed his top 5 best singers/ rappers in Afrobeats were and of course we had popular names such as: DavidO, WizKid and Burna Boy.


However there were also some surprises such as Watch My Ting Go singer Lola Rae and DayGee who TeeJay describes as a raw talent.


To end the interview I wanted to find out something funny about TeeJay, I asked the singer- What is one of your most embarrassing moments? His response truly made me laugh. His response is as follows:
"I've been pretty lucky, I haven't had many. The most recent one was on my way to university. It was cold and icy and after I crossed the road I almost slipped and spent maybe 10 seconds ice skating on the path trying to keep my balance without any sides to grab on to. As if that wasn't bad enough there were about 30 students behind me on their way to class that couldn't hold in their laughter. I started walking a different route after that"

TeeJay wants his fans to remember that he is a "a down to earth person with dreams just like everybody else"



If you're a fan of Afrobeats his new song “Work” Ft Lola Rae is most definitely a song you need to be listening to.


No comments:

Post a Comment