Pages

Tuesday 11 November 2014

Album Review: Teyana Taylor - VII

Def Jam artist Teyana Taylor recently released her album VII, It's an RnB album in all essences. The album has features from Chris Brown, Pusha T, Fabolous and Yo Gotti but each artist compliments the song well. 



I have been following Teyana Taylor's career for many years, from when she first appeared on MTV's Sweet Sixteen. Teyana Taylor in my opinion is an artist who is highly under rated, when Teyana first came out with songs like "Google Me" she excited us. Although I wasn't a great fan of the song, she had confidence and brought a new energy to female rap music. 

This subtle confidence is still something that is evident in Teyana's music, in this album she talks about relationships, love, lust and everything in between. Her tones and diction on the songs allows you to hear how in control she is of her voice.

I have a few songs on the album that I like, but my favourites would be Just Different, Broken Hearted Girl, Put Your Love On and Maybe. 


Just Different is the first song on the album, it's smooth sounding RnB, music you can chill out and relax to. It's a great song to introduce us to this body of work, it sets the pace for the album. 
Broken Hearted Girl is one of my favourites simply because of the Fabolous feature. He brings a dynamic energy to the song, witty lines and references to hashtags which just add a bit of intensity. 

Put Your Love On, the beat alone made me want to stand up and dance. A slightly more up tempo song with a sound that reminds me of an exotic island. Put Your Love On makes you want to sway from side to side, enjoy and get lost in the music.

Maybe, out of all my favourites on the album Maybe is my all time favourite. The catchy chorus and the features from Yo Gotti and Pusha T make it even greater. Maybe the racy yet creative video also helps in making it my favourite.

My only critique is that I wish we could have heard more range from Teyana, a lot of the songs were very slow. Teyana Taylor's journey to making this album has taken 7 years, it would have been nice to hear something that represented the journey her sound has been through. Besides from that I really enjoyed VII and hope to see more creative videos off the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment