Pages

Saturday 15 November 2014

One To Watch: Irish Rapper Rejjie Snow by Victor (Guest Writer)

Ever heard of heard of Rejjie Snow guys? No? Then you better get listening. Rejjie Snow (Alex Anyaegbunam), is an Irish rapper from Dublin. I know what you are thinking what does Ireland have to offer in terms of rapping,well you my friend are in for a treat. 



This discovery came about after an hour of searching online for some talented underground rappers, who: one didn’t come from London and two whose name was not associated with ‘young’ in some way.If that’s not news enough, a rapper …….from Dublin, he is also signed to Elton John, yes I said Elton John .Yes the same Elton with the shades, who always seems to be accompanied by his piano. 


After giving his music a listen I call him the Rejjie the ‘Irish Tyler' * Tyler the creator that is * This is because just like Tyler he adopts a somewhat dark tonality to a lot of his music, along with the recurring spooky voice that they both infuse into their rhymes. 

The first visual, which caught my eye was his video for ‘Lost in Empathy ‘which seems to centre on the persecution of Albinos in Tanzania.

 Suffice to say this MC isn’t going to be rapping about blunts and waking up in a new Bugatti. He gives a more diverse array of topics, which is one the reasons I focused on him. In an interview with ‘Noisey’ magazine he openly admits to wearing fake Gucci shoes saying “I can’t afford the real shit yet, so why lie” if only I had that same mentality in year 9(lol) but is this honest, blunt demeanour which he seems to evoke was a primary reason for me being able to connect with his music.  

I would advise you all to give’ Rejovich’ a listen, that’s his debut EP. The opening track ‘Loveleen’ starts with a loop of ‘Money, Bitches, Hoes, Greed, Pussy, Lord knows’. This would be a starter kit for rappers in regards to topics to focus on. I really enjoy what he does with this song because instead of  stereotypical gangster rap, associated with these type of topics he takes a different approach. Intricate wordplay and conceptual metaphors Rejjie does well in giving us a better insight into him as a character. 





I for one cannot wait to see what he has up his sleeve next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment